I am delighted to join the Wayside community, teaching science to grades 6-8 and religion to our grade six homeroom. While 2017-18 is my first year at OLW, I have been teaching in a Catholic school since 2006. It is wonderful to share my faith with my students, and to share in their Catholic formation.
Welcome to my classroom page. Here you will find information relating to my classes. I will frequently post information relating to homework assignments, projects and tests.
Follow Mrs. Kelly on Twitter: @MrsKellyOLW
Middle School Science
OLW science classes for grades 6-8 have earned the reputation of preparing students exceptionally well for their high school classes. The curriculum in each grade has the dual goals of expanding students’ science knowledge and, equally importantly, establishing strong conceptual foundations for the classes in grades 9-12. Rigor and high expectations are hallmarks of the coursework. Students learn to read expository text for maximum comprehension, gain familiarity with prefixes and suffixes that make up “the language of science”, establish key math skills, and expand their knowledge of interpreting and creating graphs.
Grade 6: Earth Science and Astronomy
- Exploring Earth, Geologic Changes – trimester 1
- Weather and Climate, Water and Resources – trimester 2
- Exploring the Universe – trimester 3
Grade 7: Life Science
- Life: Structure and Function- trimester 1
- Bacteria and Plants – trimester 2
- Animal biology – trimester 3
Grade 8: Physical Science: Chemistry and Physics
- Matter and the Foundations of Chemistry – trimester 1
- Elements and periodic table -trimester 2
- Interactions of Matter, Forces and Motion – trimester 3
Science Fair Information
1. Link to IJAS Website
3. Science Fair Topics – List of Websites
4. Science Surplus Store: 5316 N. Milwaukee Avenue Chicago IL (Northwest Hwy and Milwaukee)
10. Order Form: Boards and Title Cards Science Fair Order Form 2017